Little modular monster
Beatzille: little monster
Beatzille is a compact version of our monster modular synthesizer Bazille. Although its condensed feature set makes it the ‘little brother’, Beatzille is still an engaging and capable synthesizer. Power and style run in the family. Digital oscillators, analogue-style filter and flexible patching will keep you busy for a good while before thinking about tackling Bazille.
Please note: Beatzille was commissioned by German music magazine Beat for their readers. It is only available via Beat magazine, not from us or our resellers.
- Modular architecture
- 2 digital oscillators with simultaneous frequency modulation (FM), phase distortion (PD) and fractal resonance (FR)
- Polyphonic (up to 8 voices), duophonic (split oscillator pitches), legato or retriggered monophonic
- Pitch transpose, drift and glide control
- 1 multimode analogue-style filter with 6 parallel outputs (4× lowpass, bandpass, highpass)
- 2 ADSR envelopes with sustain slope (fall/rise) and 5 trigger modes
- 1 LFO with 3 parallel outputs with various waveforms
- 16-step sequencer with 8 morphable snapshots. 4 output sockets for parallel sequences, envelope triggers and more
- 2 multiplex units for mixing, crossfades, ring modulation or amplitude modulation
- Built-in stereo delay with tape wow, feedback and damping filters
- 1 mapping generator (waveshaper / incrementer)
- Audio-rate signal processors: inverter, rectifier, sample & hold, dual lag generator and quantizer
- White and pink noise generators
- MIDI modulation sources include modwheel, velocity, breath, pressure, key follow, gate and more
- Single-page interface
- Skinnable UI
- Resizable UI from 70% to 200%
- Global preferences page
- MIDI learn overlay and editable MIDI CC list
- Over 160 factory presets
Sights and sounds
- Audio Demos
Small and mighty
Striking the balance between too much and too little, Beatzille is the happy medium. It presents an introduction to modular synthesis and a taste of the power of Bazille without being overwhelming.
Beatzille’s oscillators embrace two digital synthesis methods developed during the 1980s: frequency modulation (FM) and phase distortion (PD). We also added a process we call fractal resonance (Fractalize), which sounds similar to the classic oscillator sync effect when swept.
All three synthesis methods run simultaneously, so you can combine them to create an extensive range of sounds. Beatzille is great at generating weird modular blips and squeaks, but you can even coax soft pads and organic keys from the oscillators—as demonstrated by the factory library. Add modulation for even more sound possibilities.
The filter is a favourite in the sound designer’s toolkit. Cut frequencies, boost others, add texture and colour. Beatzille’s analogue-style filter complements the digital oscillators, providing warmth and drive. And its self-oscillation capability opens up some intriguing sound design opportunities.
Even with a single filter Beatzille offers plenty of creative horizons. The six parallel outputs (highpass, bandpass and four types of lowpass) with multiple modulation options make it easy to create complex, shifting textures.
Beatzille has only one built-in effect, but it’s good one: stereo delay with optional host sync. Push your sound around in space with independent delay times and volumes for each channel. Conjure ghostly echoes using tape-like wobble and filtering or set up endless repetitions. Tweak all controls to find the perfect delay.
Grow in size
If you enjoy Beatzille, give Bazille a try—more power, more features and more possibilities.
The main differences between Bazille and Beatzille:
with Fall/Rise range control
no Fall / Rise range control
Delay, distortion, phaser, spring reverb
Beatzille 1.0.1 (revision 3876)
Released August 26, 2015
This product is a free download and does not require a serial number to unlock it. This plug-in is only available from the magazine / website listed and not from u-he.com or our resellers.
* About Linux: Please be aware the Linux versions of our plug-ins are still considered beta. While the plug-ins are stable, we are not able to provide the same level of support for these products as we do for the macOS and Windows versions. Support is provided via the Linux and u-he communities on our forum .
Mac OS X 10.7 or newer
Windows 7 or newer
- 1GB RAM, more recommended
- 50MB free disk space
- 1000 × 600 or larger display
- Modern CPU (Sandy Bridge or newer recommended)
- Host software
Beatzille is not a standalone product, it requires host software. Beatzille is compatible with nearly all DAWs.
Available as Audio Units (AU), VST2, AAX (Pro Tools 10.3.7 or later) plug-ins with 32-bit and 64-bit versions.